Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

Adwords - Competitor Ads?

| ‎07-04-2012 01:18 PM

Hi,

My competitor's are US based websites/companies, but that target 100% intnerational customers. 

I've been doing different keyword searches on Google US, and I've noticed that adword ads appear for their website on Google US. 

This strikes me as weird because why would they want to target Google US if their customer base is 100% international? I don't now why they wouldn't exclude Google US from their adwords campaign since it would attract clicks from US users?

The only answer I could think of as to why they would want to include Google US is if international customers are going to Google US to perform searches. But how often do international customers actually search on Google US?

I know when I search I just use Google US since I'm from the US. And I'm guessing users in the UK use Google UK, users in AU use Google AU, and users in CA use Google CA.

So I'm not sure if I'm missing something, and maybe I should also include the US in my adwords campaign just in case international customers use Google US to search?

Thank you,

olimits7

Message 1 of 11 (533 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Adwords - Competitor Ads?

Reply to olimits7
| ‎07-04-2012 01:50 PM

I was just poking around in Adwords.

If I exclude USA from my targeted locations; will my ad still show for international located users searching on Google US and my ad won't show to US users searching on Google US?

For example, I would like to show my ads in Google UK and Google US but only to intenrational UK users that search either on Google US or Google UK.  I don't want my ads to appear to US located users that search on Google US.  Is this possilbe to do with Adwords?

Thank you! 

Message 2 of 11 (530 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Re: AdWords targeting

[ Edited ]
Reply to olimits7
| ‎07-04-2012 02:46 PM
Last edited 07-04-2012 02:52 PM by MosheTLV

Hello olimits7;

Let's start by saying that "targeting" is one of the complex tasks on AdWords. (There is targeting by location, targeting by intent, a combination of two, an exclusion of geo-targeting and intent, I can name also "topics" and "audiences". I'm sure I forgot a few others ...) AdWords targeting keeps changing constantly, since it's the "holy grail" of every advertiser. (Just two days ago targeting tab was completely revamped.)

I will put aside all other targeting options. (Otherwise, this will be an endless post), and focus on geo-targeting.:

• We can say that the primary engineering technique Google uses for geo-targeting, is the user's IP address (I will just quickly say, that there are exceptions for that, without elaborating, to keep explanation simple and to the point.)
  • A Google domain - a user is signed into (google.co.uk, Google.fr, Google .de....) is primary intended to identify the user's language. So, a user can still uses Google.fr, but, be "physically" present in the US, and be excluded or targeted by geo-targeting (depending if US is targeted or excluded. The question whether this user gets to see ads in English when using a UI (user interface) in French, being located in the US. Is again, a separate subject. - Do you see how complex this can get ?)

My wild bet?: your competitor's AdWords geo-targeting is not configured properly: they are targeting the whole world, either because they haven't set targeting , or they set it wrong. :smileyhappy:

-Moshe

Message 3 of 11 (528 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎07-04-2012 03:09 PM

Thanks for your reply!

So is it safe to say that if I target UK and exclude US; regardless if a UK user located in the UK uses google.com or google.co.uk that my ads would still display for them?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 11 (522 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to olimits7
| ‎07-04-2012 03:18 PM

olimits7;

Since we are talking on English language; to put it simple: the answer is YES. (i.e: if you target the UK, and the user is located in the UK, and he uses either google,com or google.co.uk, - he will see your ad. )

Message 5 of 11 (519 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎08-04-2012 09:29 AM

Ok, great...thank you! 

1. And I'm guessing the same holds true with Australia and Canada; right? 

2. Is this not true if it wasn't in the English language?  For example, target Germany exclude US and the user is located in Germany and he uses either google.com or google.de to search; will my ads still appear on both sites? 

3. I'm having a hard time selecting the options I need to be able to show my ads only to physically located UK users that search either on google.com (us) or google.co.uk (uk).  The physically located UK users can perform searches relating to the US; however, any physically located US users will not see my ads at all.  Do the following selections I currently have setup for my adwords campaign below accomplish this?

Target: UK 

Target: People in my targeted location

Exclude: US

Exclude: People in my excluded location

I re-read a bunch a times what Google has written for these options; which the wording kind of throws me off, but I think the setting above should be correct for what I'm trying to accomplist?

Thank you, again!

Message 6 of 11 (496 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Reply to olimits7
| ‎09-04-2012 03:53 AM

Hi olimits7,

In addition (if I may), I would like to say that there is no need to to exclude any location which you actually haven't targeted in your Campaign settings. See this for more details.

I would also like to add that in case you have international customers, try to create separate campaigns for separate countries because by doing this, you will have more flexibility in terms of time zones, languages, ad scheduling, any special offers (country special) etc...which can be taken of while creating different campaigns.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Message 7 of 11 (486 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: AdWords location targeting

Reply to olimits7
| ‎09-04-2012 03:55 AM

Olimits7;

Why do you want to exclude the US, if you target only the UK ?

Look for details instructions how to target a specific country here

(IF it was not English - It's a complete new ball game....much more complicated.... Since you are targeting English-speaking countries, I would recommend: "one step at a time"... :smileywink:)

-Moshe

Message 8 of 11 (484 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎09-04-2012 04:00 AM

Olimits;

Pankaj typed his answer while I was typing mine (I'm slower in keyboard typing ::smileywink:), But I am "me too" with Pankaj's answer..!!

-Moshe

MosheTLV wrote:

Olimits7;

Why do you want to exclude the US, if you target only the UK ?

Look for details instructions how to target a specific country here

(IF it was not English - It's a complete new ball game....much more complicated.... Since you are targeting English-speaking countries, I would recommend: "one step at a time"... :smileywink:)

-Moshe

Message 9 of 11 (483 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎09-04-2012 11:32 AM

Ok, thank you...I will definitely create different campaigns for different countries!

I currently changed my Adwords campaign for the UK to the following; I believe this setting is correct to what I'm trying to accomplish:

[Show my ads only to physically located UK users that search either on google.com (us) or google.co.uk (uk).  The physically located UK users can perform searches relating to the US; however, any physically located US users will not see my ads at all.]

Target: UK

Target: People in my targeted location

- Your ad can appear for anyone who is likely to be physically located in your targeted location, even if she shows interest in other locations.

I was unsure if I should have selected "Target: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)", but based on reading what it says in the tool-tip for this selection I don't believe this is what I want selected.  I don't want my ads to appear for anyone who is located "anywhere" and searches for or view web pages about my targeted location.  I just want to target UK users but my ads have nothing to do with the UK location just the UK users and the US location.

- Your ad can appear for anyone who is likely to be physically located in your targeted location, in addition to anyone who is located anywhere and searches for or view web pages on the Google Display Network about your targeted location. People can show interest in locations through terms used in their searches, content that they view online, or other methods.

Thank you,

olimits7

Message 10 of 11 (474 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here