Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

Trouble with targeting

| ‎29-04-2012 05:18 PM

Currently I have my targeting set to certain zip codes within my area. My problem is that when someone searches for one of my keyword phrase such as "cleaning service" but uses "cleaning service in dallas" it still shows up for them eventhough I live in CT. How do i make it so when someone searches like this my ads don't show?

Message 1 of 12 (377 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Re: Trouble with targeting

Reply to northwestclean
| ‎29-04-2012 11:29 PM

Hello northwestclean,

Do you use the advanced targeting in your campaign settings?

If not you can try and select People in my targeted location as one of the easiest solution. By doing this, people who are physically present in your target location will only see your ad.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Message 2 of 12 (366 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Trouble with targeting

Reply to northwestclean
| ‎30-04-2012 01:47 AM

Hi Northwestclean

As I read it you have already made your settings so its only people in your area which are being targeted by your ads, correct?

But as you are using phrase match or even broad your ads will still show when they search for a cleaning service elsewhere. Lets say X lives in CT but has a mother in Dallas and they are searching for a cleaning service for her, they will see your ad. To avoid it you can either add cities as negatives (exclude dallas as keyword) or try exact match terms instead. So instead of using "cleaning service" do [cleaning service], then you avoid people searching for cleaning services elsewhere.

Message 3 of 12 (358 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Targeting by location vs. targeting by intent

Reply to JonasSH
| ‎30-04-2012 02:15 AM
@JonasSH
I don't think this is the case here. With the new targeting tab launched beginning of April, the moment he targets by location ONLY (geo-targeting), eliminating targeting by intent - only those who are physically present in the geographic are, will get to see the ad. All others, physically located OUTSIDE the targeted area, will not see the ad (as already explained by Pankaj).
-Moshe

Message 4 of 12 (354 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎30-04-2012 02:54 AM

Hi Moshe

You are right - But if using "People in my targeted location" (zip codes) - which by Google is described as "Your ad can appear for anyone who is likely to be physically located in your targeted location, even if she shows interest in other locations.". The search for cleaning service in dallas (as searched by one in CT) will still trigger his ads, if any exclusions hasn't been set up. So he should include - Exclusion for "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location" and here exclude places which are not in CT, correct?

Message 5 of 12 (347 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to JonasSH
| ‎30-04-2012 04:52 AM

@JonasSH;

"for anyone who is likely to be physically located in your targeted location, even if she shows interest in other locations." - is the default setting. However, you can choose "people in my targeted location"- meaning anyone who is physically located within the targeted location.

Message 6 of 12 (340 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎30-04-2012 05:16 AM

Hi Moshe

What you say is the default setting I see as the description for "People in my targeted location" when I look at the help bubble next to this option.

So going back to the original question in this thread - He will need to choose this setting right (People in my targeted location), but also exclude areas (such as dallas/tx) by using (Exclude "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location" - and hereafter specifying which areas to exclude) or where am I off? 

Message 7 of 12 (330 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to JonasSH
| ‎30-04-2012 06:14 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm think everyone here is suggesting the same thing.

Not sure who brought it up but almost regardless of settings, if people are in your targeted location and match your Broad or Phrase keywords, ads can be shown to those users, even if they are seeking information about an area outside of your location.  This page breaks down the advanced location options nicely.

To try and eliminate all possibility of matches on people that are in your targeted location, looking for similar services to yours but outside of your targeted area, you're keywords would have to be so extremely specific that you'd lose relevant traffic too.  The settings as suggested by others here are the best route you can take.  If you find that you're matching keywords for some specific cities regularly, you could add in those cities as negative keywords as well.

If your advanced location targeting settings are as best as you can get them for what you have explained (target by people in your location & exclude by people in, searching for or viewing about excluded locations) you will not need to specify any location exclusions.

Specifying location exclusions are only needed when you're excluding a region within your targeted area.  For instance, if you're targeting US but want to exclude North Dakota, you would need to add a location exclusion for North Dakota because it is part of your original targeted location.

If you're targeting Florida and want to exclude the rest of the US, no added exclusions are needed as you have not targeted the rest of the US at all.

From this page:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722040

"Remember, there's no need to exclude areas that you haven't already targeted -- we won't show your ads in places unless you explicitly target them.

The exception is if you target an area by search intent, and exclude other areas by your customers' physical location. This gets a little more complicated -- check out our article on advanced location options for more information."

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Message 8 of 12 (324 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎30-04-2012 06:46 AM

Thanks Tom

This was what I was aiming at, you just put it down in words more nietly :smileyhappy:

And you are right about the exclusions, no need for that when its already specified as much as it is.

/Jonas

Message 9 of 12 (318 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Targeting by location and Excluding by intent

Reply to JonasSH
| ‎30-04-2012 07:22 AM

@Jonas;

Why don't you want your ad to be shown to those who are within the targeted area and looking for the same business elsewhere? They might find out, that they can get the same service just "arround the corner", instead of seeking it in another location . This applies, particularly, if you target by zip code. Users can suddenly find a leather cleaning service, in the next block, while (as a habit) searching for it in a big town (assuming it is not available in their neighbourhood)

If you want to exclude those who are within your targeted area searching for the service outside this area, you could target by location AND exclude the rest of the country by intent.[1]. That is somewhat little more complicated to set, but can be done.

• [we won't show your ads to people who are physically located in your excluded location OR to those who showed interest in your excluded location by either searching for, viewing content about, or have settings related to the excluded location.][1]

-Moshe

Message 10 of 12 (314 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here