Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

Broad vs Broad

[ Edited ]
| ‎20-04-2012 11:42 AM
Last edited 20-04-2012 11:43 AM by Dustin_S

If Im bidding on the term Orthodontist for Chicago... do I want to bid on Chicago orthodontist or

orthodontist ? 

If one or the other why? And should I bid on both? Both are broad match, and both are in the same campaign targeting Chicago. 

Message 1 of 16 (468 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Broad vs Broad

Reply to Dustin_S
| ‎20-04-2012 11:48 AM

Hey Dustin,

So nice to see you here  - lol ;0)

I would say both and put them in all three match types and watch those broad match keywords like a hawk.  Take the keywords to the adwords keyword tool and run them to identify some broad match to add now and then watch the search terms report for more negatives as well as new keywords ideas.

Help?

Kim Clink
Message 2 of 16 (462 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Dustin_S
| ‎20-04-2012 11:50 AM

Our internal best practices are to build 2 campaigns.

1) Broad keywords targeted locally (physical location settings). e.g. Orthodontist, Orthodotists, find orthordontist, pediatric orthodontist

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2012/04/more-clarity-and-control-with-location.html

2) Local Specific keywords (e.g Chicago orthodontist) which you target nationwide. So if they are on their phone which has a kentucky IP, but happen to be in Chicago you can target them.

Message 3 of 16 (458 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to david-nationalp
| ‎20-04-2012 11:51 AM

Clarification as well - I highly recommend using modified broad match instead of regular broad, as regular broad is a bit too broad.

Additionally, as the above poster mentioned, it's best to break it down into all 3 match types.

Message 4 of 16 (456 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to david-nationalp
| ‎20-04-2012 11:52 AM

you can do that but with the new location targeting features you can target physical location and search intent.

Kim Clink
Message 5 of 16 (455 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Kim_Clink
| ‎20-04-2012 11:54 AM

LOL, I'm a control freak. Prefer to manage both sides of things individually, so I can bid or segment separately. But you can use both settings in one campaign if it makes it easier.

Message 6 of 16 (452 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to david-nationalp
| ‎20-04-2012 11:57 AM

LOL David - truth is I am a total control freak too :smileyhappy:

Kim Clink
Message 7 of 16 (450 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Reply to Kim_Clink
| ‎20-04-2012 12:36 PM

Hi, 

I am a keen believer in using 'Search Intent' (users searching while also stating the location. i.e. Chicago Orthodontist) but I have been known on a number of occasions to run a test period using both 'Search Intent' and 'Location Targeting'.

Have dealt with several Orthodontists in on the UK market I can safely say that I have a 50/50 split on performance. Some (those based in larger towns or cities. i.e. London, Manchester, etc) have worked better on 'Search Intent' while those in smaller areas have worked better on 'Location Targeting'.

One thing I would like to point out and Kim has already mentioned is, if you are going to use Broad Match keywords then keep a close eye on them and try to build a large list of negatives. Focus your negatives around recruitment, reviews, blogs, etc. as this drive a high amount of impressions. Using the Broad Modifier is always ideal especially when you are using 'search Intent'.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

Luigi

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination
Message 8 of 16 (443 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Reply to Kim_Clink
| ‎20-04-2012 12:45 PM
Last edited 20-04-2012 12:48 PM by MosheTLV

I would bid for the following.  (My preferred method, though, ideas already given by Kim and David),

+orthodontist (This will cover all variations, including plurals and prepositions, e.g. to orthodontist, ) AND I will target Chicago by location and by intent : Anyone physically in Chicago searching orthodontist(s), OR outside Chicago searching on Google.com for orthodontist(s) in Chicago, - will get to see the ad.

Targeting by intent is a great tool, that allows advertisers to cut the number of KWs by removing geographic names from the KWs list,- minimizing the KWs list to only the core KWs, without names of surrounding towns.

From AdWords revised targeting help article

• "this means we can show your ads to anyone who shows interest in your targeted location. People can show interest in a location by including the name of the location in their searches,"

-Moshe

[edited] : Luigi posted while I was typing, I'm slow in keyboard typing, but our answers are on the same lines...:smileywink:

Message 9 of 16 (441 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Level 8 Sq
Reply to david-nationalp
| ‎20-04-2012 02:30 PM
Last edited 20-04-2012 02:31 PM by Sq

Hello,

Would the local  modifier be of use?

{lb.city:Local}