Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

How to place ads ONLY in right column

| ‎22-02-2012 09:11 AM

My director suspects Search Results right column ads produce better results than the top of page ads for our particular product.

Can one set an ad to only show in the Search Results right column?

Message 1 of 6 (785 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Re: How to place ads ONLY in right column

[ Edited ]
Reply to koebie
| ‎22-02-2012 09:28 AM
Last edited 22-02-2012 09:29 AM by BlueIon

Hey Koebie,

I don't believe you can target those postitions automatically, but you can keep an eye on your bid and ad position to hit accordingly. I believe there is only an automated rule that you can set at this time, but this focuses on bids to place in the number 1 spot.

Also, I would suggest taking a look at the 'Keyword Position' report in Google Analytics to determine at what position keywords convert the best.

There is also a 'Top vs Side' report in AdWords that can help determine what ad position converts the best - http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-vs-side-ad-performance-segmentation.html

Thanks,

BlueIon

Message 2 of 6 (784 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to koebie
| ‎22-02-2012 09:39 AM

koebie wrote:

My director suspects Search Results right column ads produce better results than the top of page ads for our particular product.

Can one set an ad to only show in the Search Results right column?

Hello, koebie. Tell him to stop suspecting and start looking at numbers. If he'd click the Ads tab, and choose the "Top vs others" segment, he'd be able to put an end to his suspicions :smileyhappy:.

Message 3 of 6 (778 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to koebie
| ‎22-02-2012 09:59 AM

Hi koebie, further to the useful reply from BlueIon and the rather cryptic reply from my colleage Calin, I'll just add...

"Top" placed ads traditional have a much higher performance than "right" ads in terms of CTR.  As Calin hinted, a quick look at the Top vs Side report should show this dramatically.

However, CTR isn't the be all and end all of performance.  Although top ads may have a much higher CTR this doesn't necessarily mean they'll convert more often so you'll need look at all aspects of performance to make a considered judgement.  For example, top placed ads may get clicked more often by "browsers" - people just looking out of interest - while those at the side may be more likely clicked by people actually reading the page and chosing your ad.

Jon

Message 4 of 6 (767 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Cobnut
| ‎22-02-2012 10:19 AM

Sorry. Point taken.

There is a way to see, in the AdWords interface, exactly how Ads, or Keywords, or even Ad Groups, perform when the corresponding ad is placed in a top position versus another position. Suffices to click on any of the three tabs and activate the "Top vs. Other" segment.

With that segment active, we can see their performance broken down by position, and that includes all metrics usually available (impressions, clicks, CTR, conversions, converted value, etc.).

Message 5 of 6 (762 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Reply to AdWiser
| ‎23-02-2012 02:25 PM
Last edited 24-02-2012 04:07 AM by marketsharer

You can use automated rules to adjust your bids so that you are always being shown within a certain range of positions.

In short: raise the bid by X if the positions gets lower than 6,  lower the bid by Y if the postions get better then 4.

Do this twice a day, and after a few days you will see your ads will be shown quite exactly in the chosen range.

(Better not use the same amount or percentage for each change.)

( and keep in mind that a postion 1 can also be position 1 in the righthand column ! ( that is if there are not suffitient bids for the top positions)

MarketSharer: Glad to help and share ( and learn )
Let's Connect
Message 6 of 6 (734 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here