Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

How to set up search remarketing?

[ Edited ]
| ‎23-04-2012 05:12 PM
Last edited 23-04-2012 05:12 PM by taewoo

Hi everyone.

Is it possible to remarketing campaign on people who've searched on a term you're bidding on but has not clicked your ad  and landed on your page?

Message 1 of 14 (6,397 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: How to set up search remarketing?

Reply to taewoo
| ‎23-04-2012 05:17 PM

Hi Taewoo,

I think the best you could get would be to target 'Interest Categories' but this is not the same as your question.

Remarketing is based on tagging users who visit your site with a cookie and placing them on an Remarketing Audience List.  Without the cookies, you cannot remarket.  There are no other features I'm aware of for targeting by previous search behavior.

There are quite a few extensive discussions here (run a search for remarketing) that you can find all kinds of good information if you're going to start a remarketing campaign.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Message 2 of 14 (6,394 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎23-04-2012 05:29 PM
Last edited 23-04-2012 05:29 PM by taewoo

Hey Tom

(Thanks as always).

There's this pdf file (page 6) .. let me quote:

"Search retargeting finds those individuals who have searched for a term on Google, Yahoo, or Bing that is relevant to your campaign. It is an acquisition tool in that it does not rely on targeting those people who have already visited your site"

This author makes a statement that site retargeting and search retargeting are different..  am I misunderstanding this?

Message 3 of 14 (6,391 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to taewoo
| ‎23-04-2012 06:11 PM

Hi Taewoo,

Search Retargeting is a very interesting topic but I have yet to have any experience with it.

I can help in all sorts of ways if you want to talk about Adwords Remarketing. :smileyhappy:

-Tom

Message 4 of 14 (6,387 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎23-04-2012 06:53 PM

Currently, you can only use AdWords remarketing code to remarket to users on the display network. Although, if you look through your search terms report, you may see some queries designated as "broad session based" (understanding match type section). Session based queries are, essentially automatic search retargeting, using a users session browsing history to target search ads. So, there is some level of search re-targeting/remarketing already going on with the system, if you use broad (and/or phrase?) match terms.

When you read about search retargeting, many of the authors are talking about their structures and approcahes to attempt to to do something you can't directly do within the program. Looking at analytics reports, and parsing the visitor data, some firms/individuals then use that information to try and re-target ads to search users, based on locations, behavior, etc., etc. At least as I understand search retargeting, it's more of a strategic concept, than an actual targeting method within adwords.

Tom

Message 5 of 14 (6,384 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to taewoo
| ‎23-04-2012 10:44 PM

taewoo;

As Tom Jr. explained in his answer this quote is wrong (NO remarketing on search network). But I am giving you a star for the reading you did before posting a question. Not many on this community do some reading before posting, had they did, they would find valuable stuff, and that many questions had been answered already..:smileywink:

taewoo wrote:

Hey Tom

(Thanks as always).

There's this pdf file (page 6) .. let me quote:

"Search retargeting finds those individuals who have searched for a term on Google, Yahoo, or Bing that is relevant to your campaign. It is an acquisition tool in that it does not rely on targeting those people who have already visited your site"

This author makes a statement that site retargeting and search retargeting are different.. am I misunderstanding this?

Message 6 of 14 (6,372 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎23-04-2012 10:47 PM

hi everyone.

thanks for the explanation

yes, i believe the PDF (if i understood correctly) is that Google is building up a user's search query in its database.. and letting advertisers advertise on the (content network) that matches that user.

so remarketing ON the content network based on the previous search queries..

is this possible?

Message 7 of 14 (6,370 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to taewoo
| ‎23-04-2012 11:08 PM

Hey Taewoo,

This is not possible.

Asaf

Message 8 of 14 (6,367 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to asafpaz
| ‎24-04-2012 12:58 PM

Hi Taewoo,

That entire article is a marketing effort for Chango's service--search remarketing. I have no idea how they are able to do this, but they are offering this service. It is not available through Google.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Message 9 of 14 (6,325 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Reply to petebardo
| ‎24-04-2012 02:22 PM

I didn't do very good there... :smileyhappy:

Apparently, there are several programs/companies which offer search retargeting services. Seems like there is coding, etc. involved, that is then used to target search ads. 

Here are some articles from Search Engine Land if your interested... Each author seems to have a different opinion of what search retargeting is, which I'm sure will only lead to more confusion... :smileyhappy:

http://searchengineland.com/retargeting-is-the-new-black-52263

http://searchengineland.com/how-to-maximize-sem-efforts-with-search-retargeting-86137

http://searchengineland.com/understanding-keywords-in-search-retargeting-107952

http://searchengineland.com/5-reasons-why-brand-marketers-should-use-search-retargeting-89890

Tom

Message 10 of 14 (6,319 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here