Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

Keyword planner - Only show ideas closely related button

| ‎29-07-2013 08:59 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to research some keywords with the new planner tool. Before I'd use the old keyword tool, and have the "only show ideas closely related to my search terms" button ticked. This was great as it meant i could find keywords that fit the narrow niche I was researching for. 

Is there an equivalent button to this one in the new planner tool? Why has it been taken away, having this level of insight has been incredibly effective in the past.

What should I do to bring back or at least create an equivalent level of narrow results? the more keywords i put in the top the broader my results become.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

James

Message 1 of 18 (2,982 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Keyword planner - Only show ideas closely related button

Reply to James M
| ‎29-07-2013 09:52 AM
Hi James,
The new keyword planner tool is an integration of the old keyword tool and traffic estimator. It automatically suggests the ideas that are closely related to your specified search terms. This new keyword planner tool is simple and elegant enough to provide suggestions on adgroup ideas as well as keywords for the specified adgroups with average monthly search, competition and average cost per click. Here is a followup link to get more details on Keyword planner.

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2013/05/introducing-keyword-planner-combining.html

Regards -
santhosh lakkaraju.
Message 2 of 18 (2,975 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Reply to lakkaraju
| ‎30-07-2013 01:32 AM
Last edited 30-07-2013 01:33 AM by James M

Hi Santosh,

Thanks for the reply. I disagree that the planner tool suggests ideas that are more closely related to my search terms.

Essentially, what you are saying is that there is no button.

Thanks again.

James

Message 3 of 18 (2,960 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to James M
| ‎30-07-2013 01:49 AM

Hi James,

I dig into the Keyword Planner Tool and reviewed the help center reference (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770) to explore what all options we have. As you are referring to that button which used to be there in the old keyword tool, the new Keyword Planner Tool is an enhancement over that tool. You have lots of different options and if you want to include particular terms and want the tool to include those terms, you can do that using Customize your search option on the left and you can include or exclude the terms which you want here:

2013-07-30 14_10_29-Google AdWords_ Keyword Planner.jpg

Did you try using this option?

Pankaj

Message 4 of 18 (2,954 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to pankaj1782
| ‎30-07-2013 02:23 AM

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the advice. I understand that the tool is meant to give me more specific results, but I don't believe it does. I think it's giving me more results that are likely to make me bid on more expensive keywords.

The link to the image below shows me searching for snow boots sale and snow boots clearance, and is returning keywords like "burton" and "ankle boots". It's obvious from what I'm searching for that I'm looking for keywords related to clearance and sale. The button on the old keywords tool allowed me to narrow searches like this down.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/ztj6s9.jpg

The link to the image below shoes me with the filters on, like you've suggested, including terms sale and clearance. This is better, but still, i'm getting terms like "clearance sale" and "womens sale". Neither of these are relevant to what i'm searching for. The button on the old keywords tool would give me more relevant results.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ld95li.jpg

The old tool used to actually help me in research and give me good ideas. It used to allow me to expand out campaigns and show me keywords I would have missed. Thanks for your help guys, but I don't think this is a step forward, and it doesn't look like there are any easy options to regain the same level of functionality.

Thanks again.

James

Message 5 of 18 (2,948 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to James M
| ‎20-08-2013 10:41 AM
The Keyword Planner team is working on a feature that let's you easily search for closely related ideas. The feature should be available in the next few weeks. But until then, there's a workaround: You can copy/paste your search terms using the "include" filter (in the "Include/Exclude" field on the left hand side).
Message 6 of 18 (2,861 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to CocoP
| ‎27-08-2013 09:24 AM
Hi Coco,

Thank you very much for this answer. I was looking for a solution for this. On the other side I would also like to point out an issue related to the number of searches and match type. Well it`s not exactly an issue but something must be done to correct this.

As stated in the previous keyword tool page Keyword Planner gives the broad, phrase and exact match "as one result". There`s a big problem in this. There is a huge difference between broad searches and exact searches and like it is now we have no options to see the exact number of searches per keyword.Many people including myself would like to see the exact number of searches for a particular keyword and from what I saw there`s no way to see that.This is a big issue. Selecting the exact match like stated by Google shows only the CPC but does not modify the searches per month value.

For example yesterday before the old keyword tool was replaced by the new one i checked a keyword for exact match and the result was 1600 searches per month.

Today i`ve tried the same keyword and i got 4400 searches. Like I`ve mentioned HUGE DIFFERENCE here.

There are many people which would like to bid on certain keywords and want to know the exact number of searches but they can`t.

Because of this alone i consider the old keyword tool way way better than this one. I can only wait and expect for the team to come up with a solution for this.
Message 7 of 18 (2,780 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Octavian T
| ‎27-08-2013 09:43 AM
Hi Octavian T,

Have you reviewed this page that explains some of the differences between the Keyword Tool and the Keyword Planner? https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229

With the Keyword Planner "you'll get historical statistics only for exact match."

There are also numerous possibilities as to why the data between the two tools is not matching.

Here are a few discussions where this topic was covered:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Huge-discrepancy-btween-the-keyword-tool-and...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Keyword-Planner-Avg-Monthly-Searches/m-p/189...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-planner-and-tool-have-significantl...

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Message 8 of 18 (2,775 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎27-08-2013 10:15 AM
Last edited 27-08-2013 10:21 AM by Octavian T

Thanks PPC Bossman but i still find it hard to use. I cannot fully understand the concept of "historical statistics". Desktops and laptops has been messed up with mobile devices....Definitely very hard to use and determine. In the old tool i put the keyword select the exact match and i had the results I want. This one requires a process that I cannot fully understand how it works.

Let`s say that I want to know EXACTLY how many searches per month the keyword "weight loss tips" gets. How Can I do this ?

I clicked on "review estimates" after putting my keyword. I get some data based on the budget. The more money the big numbers BUT i want to know how many searches the keyword has exactly without a budget just like we saw in the old tool.. But i can`t see that anymore.

Can you please let me know how to do this?

I read the topics provided by you but they can`t clarify this.

Frankly speaking this tool is a nightmare. I miss the old one

Anticipated thanks for the response

Octavian

Message 9 of 18 (2,772 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Octavian T
| ‎27-08-2013 12:50 PM

Perhaps I'm overlooking something or over-simplifying this but the 'Average Monthly Searches' are listed next to each keyword based on the targeting you select. From what I know about diet trends, this looks about right to me.  New Years Resolutions anyone? :smileyhappy:

If you're using this tool strictly for traffic information/SEO purposes/keyword research etc..., you're not going to want to click the 'review estimates' button at all, those are for Advertisers using AdWords trying to estimate the impact on costs/reach etc..in their account. 

weightlosstips.jpg

Message 10 of 18 (2,754 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here