Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Understanding your Google AdWords Settings Tab

| ‎23-01-2013 09:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I’m part of the performance team in Google AdWords and I just wanted to share some information about the AdWords Settings Tab. This will be helpful for new advertisers who are creating their first campaigns.

The Settings tab forms the foundations of your campaign and it is important to review your settings when creating a new campaign. Under this tab you can edit many aspects of your campaign including budget, location and language targeting, bidding method, network type (search and display), and so on.

I’ve run through some of the General Settings within the Settings tab below. These are the basic settings for your campaign and I’d recommend all new advertisers review these settings when creating their campaigns. 

Type

Depending on your business, you may want to target the Search Network or the Display Network or both. You can select your preferred option in the Settings tab.

Options within the Settings tab

• Search Network only - Show your ads when people use Google search and type in queries
  • Display Network only - Show your ads (text, image, video) on websites that partner with Google and show AdWords ads
  • Search and Display Network - Opt into both networks

More information can be found here.

Locations

Target your ads to specify countries, territories, regions, cities, or custom areas where you want your ads to show. The default setting is ‘All Countries and Territories’ but I’d recommend editing this to target specific countries/areas to ensure your ad only displays to people who can avail of your offering.

Languages

Target your ads by your customers' language preference. The default setting is ‘All languages’. However if, for example, you have created English ads directing customers to an English website, I’d recommend changing your language setting to ‘English’. 

Bidding 

• Automatic Bidding - AdWords will help adjust your cost -per-click (CPC) bids to receive the most possible clicks within your budget and you don't need to specify individual CPC bids.
  • Manual bidding gives you control to set the maximum amount that you could pay for each click on your ads. You select a default CPC bid for all keywords and then can manually adjust the CPC bid for individual keywords in the keywords tab.

Options within the Settings tab

• I’ll manually set my bids for clicks
  • AdWords will set my bids to help maximize clicks within my target budget

I hope you find this helpful! Understanding the settings of your Google AdWords campaign ensures you have more control over where and when your ad shows and how much you spend. It is important to review these settings when creating a new campaign. If anyone has any tips to add, please share them! I’m also happy to answer any questions you might have. 

Rachel

Message 1 of 3 (575 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Understanding your Google AdWords Settings Tab

Community Manager Zee Community Manager
Reply to RachelM
| ‎23-01-2013 03:12 PM
Thanks, Rachel.
Zee
G+
Message 2 of 3 (555 Views)