Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Using adwords with Facebook

| ‎25-02-2012 09:43 AM

I have a new Facebook page for my travel agency and wanted to get feedback on whether adwords would be a good option for me?  I currently did a campaign using facebook ads but did not get the results I wanted.

Thanks.

Lori

Message 1 of 11 (5,756 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Using adwords with Facebook

Reply to beachgirlonli
| ‎25-02-2012 10:46 AM

Hello beachgirlonli,

Are you wanting to promote your Facebook page via AdWords? If you have a website connected to that Facebook page then I would suggest using AdWords with the site directly rather than introducing the Facebook page as an additional medium. You can disregard my advice though if your marketing goals are directed towards social network interaction. 

On a side note I would also recommend checking out Google+ as they have a great setup for business pages also.

Regards,

Message 2 of 11 (5,749 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to beachgirlonli
| ‎25-02-2012 10:47 AM

This is a good question.

My experience shows, that the results that you would get from an AdWords campaign are much better and targeted than on Facebook.

Please note: You may use your Facebook page as a landing page on AdWords. But, that isn't recommended: .Google allows only one display URL among all sponsored ads shown on the same page, (i.e. you cannot have more than one Facebook.com/xxx among all ads shown on the same page). If you use facebook.com/yyy, as your landing page, you might find yourself competing against "deep pocket" advertisers, willing to bid significantly higher for getting impressions of an ad with the "prestige" display URL  facebook.com/zzz.

-Moshe

Message 3 of 11 (5,748 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎25-02-2012 10:49 AM

OHHH. That's nice...Scotty and I posting on the exact same minute.....

Message 4 of 11 (5,747 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to beachgirlonli
| ‎25-02-2012 10:53 AM

Hi Lori,

Chances are AdWords might not be the best choice for you. Reasons are twofold. First, some FB pages will only be visible to the clicker if he or she is logged in FB. Second, lots of other FB page holders may be running Google ads and bidding for the same keywords like you - each time only one of them will be selected by Google to display the ad to users. I'd note that the best option for AdWords ads is to develop your own website with a unique top-level domain name.

Best,

Lakatos

Message 5 of 11 (5,746 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Reply to Lakatos
| ‎25-02-2012 11:38 AM
Last edited 25-02-2012 11:40 AM by Lakatos

Moshe, it seems to have been the 3 of us replying almost simultaneously... :smileylol:

Message 6 of 11 (5,741 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to beachgirlonli
| ‎25-02-2012 05:46 PM

I'm curious what type of results you are expecting to get?  I have ran *successful* campaigns using Adwords sending traffic to Facebook but this particular campaign was for a massive advertiser with a huge Facebook presence.  They held a big contest on Facebook so demand was high.

Are you trying to get FB Likes?  Are there special offers on your FB page?  What do people do when they reach your FB page?  What do you want them to do?

To be honest, I wouldn't do Adwords for the travel industry sending to Facebook.  Instead, I would send them to your website with optimized landing pages attempting to gain potential customers.  On the page, you could have FB call-outs and perhaps FB calls-to-action.  The travel industry Avg. CPC can get pretty expensive and it seems like a waste of money to me to send them to FB.

FB evangelists might disagree with me though :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 11 (5,733 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to jaradcollier
| ‎27-02-2012 12:35 PM

Hi beachgirlonli,

Personally, I would not recommend using AdWords to advertise your Facebook page. Other advertisers have been disapproved for trademark violations simply because facebook appears in the display URL.

And I not at all surprised to learn your Facebook campaign was a bust!

Building your own website has big advantages for your business. It gives your business a "legit" appearance as opposed to a "Facebook only" company. But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Best of Luck!

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Message 8 of 11 (5,716 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to petebardo
| ‎15-01-2013 07:45 PM

Hi guys,

Great input, your replies are an interesting read.  It's nice to see that you're all against the idea of sending users to Facebook.  I would tend to push for this as well, but in the real world, websites are not the main hub anymore and really not the priority for clients as they used to be.  And chances are Facebook will implement more and more features to make a page look like a website...they've already started this with frame embedding.  Too many users spend their lives on Facebook, playing games, messaging (they have managed to convince people to stupidly delegate email to them, something of utter privacy!), chatting, reading, etc.  It's a fact and we have to live with it.

So the bottom line is that we need ways to bring people to the Facebook page more than to the Website in a LOT of situations.  Do we do it by feeding Facebook with millions of dollars per day through their sloppy Advertising platform (really hoped that today's announcement would have been about a major rehaul of that crappy system but no, they preferred to attack our privacy even more with their Graph Search) or do we use Google Adwords instead to achieve this?

I would prefer to give my money to Google in order to send traffic to Facebook...mainly because:

1. the platform is more enjoyable
2. it's superior in many other ways (for example, how ridiculous is it that only one person has access to Ads data on Facebook and that it's not possible to give access to someone else unless you give him access to your account??)
3. I've always been a fan of Google, prefer their philosophy, and even though the world seems to live and breathe on Facebook for now, if we can divert part of those funds to Google, then I'd like to do that.

So the question remains: surely there's a way Google understands this and will allow us to build ads that will point to Facebook.  How about using a tinyurl instead of the facebook.com/xxx url?  Would that work and bypass the outbidding issue from other companies?

Cheers,
Melkiades

Message 9 of 11 (4,005 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to beachgirlonli
| ‎17-01-2013 09:11 AM

Message 10 of 11 (3,970 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here