[ Edited ]
| ‎24-10-2012 09:45 AM
Last edited 24-10-2012 09:45 AM by Eric

First episode:

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/22/my-adwords-debacle-dumb-and-happy/

Second episode:

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/my-adwords-debacle-a-new-product/

Third episode:

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/my-adwords-debacle-statistics-and-stories/

What do you think? What is your experience?

E

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous
Message 1 of 15 (670 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: AdWords "debacle" articles in the New York Times

Reply to Eric
| ‎24-10-2012 10:45 AM

I have a few thoughts immediately but will reserve my comments for when post #4 and #5 are done. 

-Tom

Message 2 of 15 (656 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Eric
| ‎24-10-2012 11:42 AM

I'm with Tom. I have ideas, but without seeing into the account, I can't vouch for them. I'd need to see the rest of the article series.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Message 3 of 15 (652 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Theresa_Zook
| ‎24-10-2012 12:26 PM

Will also wait for the finale, however it bothers me when someone out of the industry goes out and "decides" that this does'nt work, and i am glad that we address this here.

As always, Thanks Eric.

Message 4 of 15 (650 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Eric
| ‎25-10-2012 07:32 AM
Message 5 of 15 (638 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎26-10-2012 12:29 AM
Last edited 26-10-2012 12:35 AM by MosheTLV

Quote: (one of many  with the same conclusion) 

Here’s what happened: Google happily took my money and delivered more impressions and more clicks on my ads. But as for calls and sales, things kept getting worse and worse. Now I was ready to panic. We were running out of work and cash. And I was still telling myself that I was seeing a retraction in spending from my customers. I still believed I was being crushed by forces outside my control.

Can we offer him free of charge optimization HO, in return to a coverage ? Or someone at Google has already offered and that will be on Friday?

Message 6 of 15 (623 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Eric
| ‎26-10-2012 06:05 AM
Message 7 of 15 (614 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎26-10-2012 06:12 AM

I guess the debacle wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  He "woke up" to realize how he was spending his money, made some changes to the account and found success again.

Moral of the story, understand where all of your advertising dollars are being spent and manage your campaigns correctly.  I don't think he's any different than a lot of advertisers who somehow think that you can make changes and everything will remain status quo or that if your campaigns are fine, you can set them and walk away. 

He starts this last post off with this sentence "Over the last few years, I have made a conscious effort to find ways to get advice from other business owners." 

Too bad he couldn't seek us out before he lost so much money. :smileyhappy:

-Tom

Message 8 of 15 (611 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎26-10-2012 07:57 AM

Yes, it would have been nice if he'd been able to get some AdWords help before he started, Tom, but let's be honest, none of us could have predicted this situation in advance. Nor could we have diagnosed the problem without analyzing his campaign data in detail. The one thing we maybe could have done was to guide him toward the deep data-dive he eventually took, the one that revealed to him that his most profitable keywords weren't getting the budget they needed to produce sales for him. A professional account manager would (should) have identified that problem earlier.

In the end, he's learned an important lesson--to know where his sales and profits are coming from and to monitor and isolate his high-traffic but less-profitable keywords.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Message 9 of 15 (605 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Eric
| ‎26-10-2012 10:19 AM

What a great set of articles!

Some small changes can make a pretty significant negative impact on his business.  A change to the target audience is always something that should be very controlled especially when you are mixing that advertising with the rest of your current advertising.  Understanding your audience and how they behave online is not always easy but in this case it is clear just how important it is.

One thing he said in installment #2 … it is hard to predict search queries that people will use and how 'big table' resulted in his ads being shown for 'big green egg' (a barbeque).  I always suggest that advertisers use the keyword tool to proactively find and add negative keywords to their account.  If Google is suggesting it as relevant then the ads are likely to be shown on the keyword, unless the advertiser is using only exact match type keywords.  For kicks and giggles I ran the tool on ‘big table’ and wow there are definitely some irrelevant suggestions and negatives that need to be added.

Another blunder that I see is that there can be a keyword that is higher ranked than another that will absorb the traffic from another keyword.  Google will sometimes override a match type to serve a keyword with better ad rank in what they would describe as an attempt to save advertisers money; problem is that sometimes that just does not work.  Many of us would rather spend more money per click and have quality traffic than spend less for poor traffic.  In this case it can be a good idea to cross pollinate negatives.  i.e. add negative -[custom conference table] to the ‘modular conference table’ adgroup to insure the right ads and landing pages are served.

Glad to hear Paul got things figured out and I hope he stays on track with getting his leads and sales up! 

Kim Clink
Message 10 of 15 (597 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here