Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

• Lounge
  • |
  • Re: Get Local with AdWords
Solved!
Accepted Solution

Get Local with AdWords

| ‎09-04-2012 11:02 AM

What you think of the new Zip Code feature in AdWords?

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous
Message 1 of 6 (469 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Get Local with AdWords

Reply to Eric
| ‎09-04-2012 11:12 AM

Hi Eric,

I'm happy it's back in a new and improved fashion as, I've been waiting/hoping for this for a long time now. I recall there used to be zip options along with the older polygon geo-targeting but I think it was limited and wasn't considered to be very accurate.

After spending time figuring out the best way around this, I'm hoping it works as intended when I revert back to using zip codes.

Haven't had a chance to convert any campaigns to this yet but will be very soon.  I'll post back when I have any info. 

I'm also hoping to hear from others about the accuracy of the new Zip targeting options.

Cheers!

-Tom

Message 2 of 6 (468 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎09-04-2012 11:16 AM
So how do you think this will impact AdWords users? What is your advice?
Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous
Message 3 of 6 (466 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Reply to Eric
| ‎09-04-2012 11:48 AM

Hi Eric,

I had a feeling I wasn't going to get off that easy. :smileyhappy:

My current/previous use and experience with specific location targeting is more toward the small/medium sized business model.

In particular here is one scenario:   We have a client that serves very specific service 'footprints' and easily provides us with the zip code list.  Due to the inaccuracies of previous targeting options and the inability to add large lists of zips etc, we've been forced to use multiple radius targets and run a zip code check/filter (after receipt of a lead form) prior to marking a conversion.  We have really struggled to set legitimate and steadfast boundaries for our clients.  My hopes are that this new version is somehow better than previous versions.  I haven't looked very hard into it yet but one might assume that if IP addresses are still used to determine location, some of these same issues will remain. I did see something briefly about a new connection with Google Maps, which again, I hope will be a proven improvement in this functionality.

Not to state the obvious but I can see perfect opportunity for Zip Code targeting and the location inserts for that matter, for smaller local and mobile campaigns, or any campaign that is targeting a specific region that is smaller than a state.  These type of campaigns generally have a smaller geographic region to work with and by using the new larger list of zip codes, you can target these specific cities and towns directly.  If indeed this new zip code targeting is more accurate, it should improve the costs for these advertisers as well.  After all, we're looking for 'qualified leads' right?

I guess my overall advise is the same as it would be for any new feature.  Test, test, monitor and test some more.  If location truly matters, down to the city/town level, this is definitely worth trying out.  I can't see how it could perform any worse than the existing location targeting at the city/town level, my hopes are that we'll be able to see great improvements in accuracy.

-Tom

Message 4 of 6 (462 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎09-04-2012 12:44 PM

I suggested it to kb, as a last resort, afer Calin, myself and Pankaj, were exhausted by suggesting all alternatives available, (including brand new targeting tab) to combine geo- targeting and targeting by intent.

Kb decline, though, I think, it could serve him well, to his geo-targeting Phoenix area, and excluding all surrounding areas.

-Moshe

Message 5 of 6 (459 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Eric
| ‎10-04-2012 07:05 AM

Hi Again,

Am I the only person with input on this?

I was thinking/hoping that someone would come on here and tell me that I'm doing something wrong or that my concerns are unjustified and the new zip code targeting system holds great improvements in accuracy over previous versions, especially in the mobile world...etc.

Has anyone else has had experiences with 'local' location targeting or are we all running state-wide, country and global campaigns?

Would it be possible to get a more technical perspective on the change in technology for the zip code functionality?  Is there a difference between selecting the center of a region/city/town and using a radius vs selecting the specific zip codes in that same region?

With the quick cutoff on this thread, I'm getting a sense that my post perhaps was not in line with what was expected?

I'm just tying to give honest feedback here.

-Tom

Message 6 of 6 (402 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here