Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

• Lounge
  • |
  • If you were an AdWords engineer...

If you were an AdWords engineer...

Community Manager Zee Community Manager
| ‎10-04-2012 01:52 PM

...what AdWords feature would you like to develop and how would this feature benefit others?

Feel free to post a reply or if you wish you can record a short video of yourself explaining the feature.

We look forward to your replies.

Zee
G+
Message 1 of 58 (1,342 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: If you were an AdWords engineer...

[ Edited ]
Reply to Zee
| ‎10-04-2012 08:09 PM
Last edited 10-04-2012 08:10 PM by purefuzz

Love the topic, I'll get it started.

Advanced Weather Bidding

I'd like a similar feature to advanced ad scheduling but I want it linked to a local weather forecast so I can increase/decrease bids depending on the weather.

I have a few clients that go extremely well when it's a sunny day and don't get much when it's overcast. Think mobility scooters and the potential customers looking out the window on a nice day wishing they could be out and about so they go online and look for options.

I'd increase bids on the good days and lower them on the overcast days.

Message 2 of 58 (1,319 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Zee
| ‎10-04-2012 08:19 PM

MCC Level Custom Client Reports

It would be really handy to be able to send reports directly to clients with a custom header (so we can add our company logo) from MCC/sub MCC level.

We would be able to create a few different templates to suit different clients (is conversion tracking enabled etc) and be able to pick which report we want to send from a drop down menu. The reporting would look more like the reporting in analytics as excel reporting wouldn't be suitable.

Even if you gave us a list of available reporting areas to add to this template. Top converting keywords, top keywords search volume, keywords with increased volume (a bit like insights breakout terms)

Message 3 of 58 (1,317 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Zee
| ‎10-04-2012 10:56 PM

Hi all,

If I were an Adwords Engineer, first thing which comes in my mind would be why not to have ad group level custom settings and give the advertiser option to either have the campaign level settings which will be applicable to all the ad groups

OR give the option of custom ad group level settings so that the advertiser gets much more flexibility and can experiment many things in one go.

Just a thought and will get back with more if strikes something exciting :smileyhappy:

Pankaj

Message 4 of 58 (1,297 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Sports events and Holiday calenders integrating into targeting (by a date)

Reply to purefuzz
| ‎10-04-2012 11:39 PM

I would integrate sports events calendar / holiday calendar / (OK, all l Gmail special calendars) into "targeting" and call it: "target by dates". (Those are fixed dates known many years in advance....Can anyone tell, instantly, what is the opening date of the London Olympics?...)

Do you know that there is a company that tried to that as an online service ? (They also offer "target by weather" as purefuzz' suggestion. I found them a few months ago......They probably did it using API. I have NOT tried... I don't like that campaign settings can be accessed by someone else)

-Moshe

Message 5 of 58 (1,294 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Zee
| ‎11-04-2012 05:01 AM

1. AdGroup level Ad Extensions.

2. Client Reporting  - I like Adam's idea of the custom reports to email clients but would like it even better if we could create custom reports and then give the client permissions to access and review these reports anytime - separate access from the entire account (not that I want to prevent clients from accessing their account but most would be overwhelmed - they just want to be able to look at specifics from time to time throughout the month)

3. Account Annotations - (like they have in Google Analytics).  It would be excellent to note specific changes directly in the account timeline.  

4. Labels - Oh please! :smileywink:  This would be awesome for larger accounts.

Kim Clink
Message 6 of 58 (1,275 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Zee
| ‎11-04-2012 05:08 AM

Managed Placement Extension

Not exactly a revolutionary feature but more of a useful shortcut for advertisers...

AdWords users with an interest in their own business will generally browse the internet looking at competitors, blogs and other sources of information related to their industry. Rather than having to copy a URL and navigate through the AdWords interface (or AdWords Editor) whenever stumbling upon a potential placement with AdSense, I have an idea that could speed things up significantly. 

Basically it would be a Chrome Extension in the top right corner of the browser which upon installation prompts you to link your AdWords Customer ID. While browsing I may come across a site I wish to display my ads on so I click the Extension button while on the page which open a G+ style drop down menu allowing me to select the campaign and then ad group I wish to introduce the new placement to. It might sound no different to going into the interface but I imagine it to be like adding someone to circles within Google+, a few cursor hovers and the placement is added in seconds while you are ready to continue browsing.

Potential problems to be addressed:

• MCC Users - This isn't too much of a problem as it will simply be one additional "hover" or menu to navigate from the drop down as the client is to be selected.
  • Not everyone uses Chrome - This could be an advantage to Google as it may draw AdWords users to start using Chrome as their main broswer instead, the other alternative is to create an "Add-on" for Firefox, etc, as well. 

I'm open to criticisim!

Message 7 of 58 (1,274 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Mr. Geotargeting, meet Mr. Advanced Options

Reply to Zee
| ‎11-04-2012 06:26 AM

Hi Zee,

I tried to put into words what I was thinking but I thought this might be a better way to express the concept. If by chance this is 'old news' or a common request, I apologize.  My thought process on this was not directed so much toward the advanced audience but more for the 'newer user'.

Mr. Geotargeting, meet Mr. Advanced Options, you two should properly be working together

(sorry the pic is blurry here - you can click on it to see a larger version) 

By combining the Advanced Location Options with the current physical Location Targeting settings, users would be able to actually 'visually confirm' the results of the settings they selected.

I, with my newly found engineering skills, would use some pattern overlays and maybe alternative coloring to visually show all the potential scenarios for the 'Advance Location options'. As users would toggle through the options, the map would update to reflect the changes in the settings (a simple legend at the bottom could outline each of the overlays).  The Advanced Location Options and the concepts they represent, although the newest version is much better, are still difficult for many users to fully grasp. By supplying a visual confirmation for advertisers, much of the confusion could be lifted completely.  At a minimum, sometimes it nice to have an alternative method to verify that targeting is set up properly.

The ideas already presented are great!  Nice work people!!

-Tom

Message 8 of 58 (1,269 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: Mr. Geotargeting, meet Mr. Advanced Options

Community Manager Zee Community Manager
Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎11-04-2012 08:20 AM

Hi all, 

Thanks for sharing your interesting ideas. I must say I really enjoyed reading them this morning on my way to work. Some of your ideas such as weather or events targeting might take some time to develop. The same applies (and I'm only guessing here) for the settings on an ad group level. However, ideas such as, MCC client reporting, placement extention ad-ons or improved geotargeting, should be possible to build. :smileywink:

Does anybody else have an idea to share?

Zee
G+
Message 9 of 58 (1,252 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Zee
| ‎11-04-2012 08:47 AM

When showing your ads, in the various ad groups, add a column that shows the date of the ad creation/approval.

So, you could see at a glance how old an ad is, if it is performing comparably, given it's age compared to your other ad's.

Message 10 of 58 (1,248 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here