Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

Do keywords make a difference?

[ Edited ]
| ‎24-02-2012 09:00 AM
Last edited 24-02-2012 09:00 AM by markjl

Having read about content targetting, I'm wondering if keywords in my pages are still important. Keywords are still in part responsible for search results aren't they? Thanks

Message 1 of 7 (522 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Re: Do keywords make a difference?

Reply to markjl
| ‎24-02-2012 09:04 AM

To avoid confusion (and isolate budgets), I'd suggesting splitting your campaigns into separate ones for search advertising vs contextual/display advertising.  They are completely different forms of advertising, despite the fact that AdWords lets you combine them into a single campaign.

Message 2 of 7 (519 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to RBall
| ‎28-02-2012 11:52 PM

Hi Richard. How do I do that?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7 (482 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Community Manager Zee Community Manager
Reply to markjl
| ‎29-02-2012 10:40 AM

Hi markjl, 

To follow up on what Richard said, you can split your campaign into two. Please reach first to understand the differences between search and display network. You need to create two new campaigns. In the settings tab, you will leave the search network on for the search campaign and turn off the display. In the second one, you will do the exact opposite. Let me know if you need more help.

Best,

Zee

Zee
G+
Message 4 of 7 (476 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Zee
| ‎01-03-2012 05:27 AM

Thank you, Zee!  I'll add, too, that once you start separate campaigns for search vs display, you'll find the ad groups in those campaigns start to look very different.  They might be essentially identical to begin with, but over time:

1) The search ad groups will use multiple keyword match types (such as the broad match modifier).

2) The display ad groups will only need broad match keywords (match type does not matter for display).

3) The search ad groups might have different CPC bids at the keyword level.

4) The display ad groups might have different ad text (to capture the attention of passive readers vs active searchers).

5) The display ad groups might include image ads.

6) The search ad groups might have negative keywords lists (largely depends on the match types chosen).

7) The budgets for search vs display might vary dramatically.

8) This list could go on for days...

HTH

Message 5 of 7 (466 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to RBall
| ‎13-03-2012 02:26 AM

Hello.

Well I duplicated all my ad groups into a new campaign and limited each campaign, one to display networks and the other to search. Now to see what the differences will be.

I note however that previously my campaign went into both networks automatically. I'm assuming that the advantage of separating campaigns is that results in analytics are easier to track.

Message 6 of 7 (422 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to markjl
| ‎14-03-2012 03:05 AM

Hi markjl, the key advantage(s) to separating campaigns for Search and Display are really that they're two different beasts and behave in different ways.  You say you've "duplicated all my ad groups" - it's actually highly unlikely that this will give you the best performance in each/either Search or Display because of this difference in the type of advertising involved.  You'll almost certainly find that keyword and ad performance will be different between the two networks and you'll need to make changes to one or the other to get the best performance.

There's a lot of mays and maybes in there because nothing in Adwords is set in stone, but it's likely. :smileyhappy:

You may even find that your business/product/service works best advertised on only one of either Search or Display, not both.  Simply put, Search ads are shown to people who are actively searching for a product/service whereas Display ads are shown to people who are just "browsing", probably with no specific intention to buy.

For example, let's say I run a gardening supplies store.  I sell everything from large expensive ride-on lawnmowers right down to plastic pots and string.  I would probably use Search to advertise my lawnmowers because I'm much more likely to get conversions as I can target people actively looking to buy a lawnmower.  Advertising lawnmowers on gardening websites (Display) may get me some business, but it's not really an "impulse" buy.  On the other hand, if I advertise gardening gloves, pots, seeds, etc. on Display, I may well get impulse buys from people who think "Oh, yes, I do need some new gloves", when they're reading a gardening site and once they land on my site they may buy some labels, a few pots, some seeds, etc.

Again, none of this is a precise art and not all (or even many) businesses can work this way but it needs some consideration.

Jon

Message 7 of 7 (405 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here