Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

How to reach people interested in your product/service?

Community Manager Zee Community Manager
| ‎25-02-2013 01:21 PM

Hi all,

Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 1.17.49 PM.pngHave you ever wondered how to reach people interested in your product or service? Wonder no more. Today I’d like to talk about interest based category targeting for the AdWords Display Network. This is a type of segmentation that allows you to add categories to your ad groups in order to reach potential clients.

For instance, someone who frequently visit websites about pets may be interested in an announcement about a new petshop promoted by one of our advertisers. The differential targeting of interest is that the user does not have to be a website about animals to see that ad. The ad can appear even if the person is a news site, since the focus here is the user's interest, and not the topic of the website in which he finds himself. This is how the segmentation by categories of interest differs from targeting topics Display Network. To determine what are the interests of our users, our system observes a number of factors, such as the types of pages they visit and how often they view such pages. The interest categories are linked to the users browser via a cookie.

If you’d like to try it, go to your account and follow these simple steps:

1. Under the Campaigns tab, click the Display Network tab.
  2. Select the ad group to which you'd like to add the interest categories, then click the Interests & Remarketing tab.
  3. Below, click the Change display targeting button. If you haven't selected an ad group yet, you'll need to select one now.
  4. In the "Interests and remarketing" area, click the Interest categories link. Then, click the add link next to each category you'd like to add. Your categories will appear in the "Selected audiences" column.
  5. When you're finished, click Done and then Save.

If any of you've already tied this tool, what can you see as the main benefit of using interest categories? 

Zee
G+
Message 1 of 5 (761 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: How to reach people interested in your product/service?

Reply to Zee
| ‎26-02-2013 03:19 PM

It is important to distinguish between topics and the Interests. This could be a bit confusing:

In topics, AdWords target websites with content on a common subject /theme (e.g , fashion, tennis, ...), while in interestsAdWords targets the users (people),  who are curious/ have knowledge about a common subject. (e.g users that routinely visit websites that cover / focus on tennis.)

Message 2 of 5 (733 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎27-02-2013 01:30 AM

Hi MosheTLV

You are right, There is big difference between target and interest. Thanks for sharing your views and help me to solve my problem related to Targets and interest. 

Message 3 of 5 (722 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Community Manager Zee Community Manager
Reply to ChanderKant
| ‎27-02-2013 07:58 AM

Moshe, thanks. Yes, you are right, it can be sometimes a bit confusing for advertisers. I like how you described on this thread where you wrote: "Audiences are people (persons) having in interest in topics."

@ChanderKant:  Thanks for joining this discussion.

Zee
G+
Message 4 of 5 (710 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Zee
| ‎19-03-2013 03:10 AM

Healthy Discussion.

I can share my experience. We should seggregate both these target methods in different adgroups while creating campaign. We should create different ad group with different target method. e.g Adgroup1 - target method is Interest category, Adgroup2 - target method is topic. 

Message 5 of 5 (370 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here