Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

I've got my Search Query Report, Where do I start?

| ‎01-03-2012 02:30 PM

Hi there,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my questions.

I am looking at an excel file with lots of numbers, a long list of Search Queries along with the following fields

Match Type - Clicks - Impressions - CTR - Avg CPC - Avg Position - Conv (1 per Click) - Cost p/conv - Conv Rate 

Although I know what each field means I am trying to figure out where I should take immediate action and which ones I can leave alone (for now)

The most important item for me is conversions, so I filtered focussed on this field. My questions below are all meant for Queries that converted well and within my desired CPA budget

- If the Match type is Exact Match and my Avg Position = 1 with an average CTR higher than 20%, should I leave these KWs alone and don't try to add any Phrase Match or even Broad Match?

- If the Match Type is Broad Match, would it help me to copy these queries into a new Ad Group in an Exact Match format?

- I believe I should have added a few more fields, the Lost Impression share and Lost IS rank (Budget should be high enough) What is the best and easiest way to work with these numbers in a Search Query report?

- Would there be something else that would be interesting to take a look at?

Thank you :-)

Message 1 of 11 (618 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: I've got my Search Query Report, Where do I start?

Reply to DeBeenus
| ‎01-03-2012 04:28 PM

Hello DeBeenus,

I'll suggest you to make new ad group of all those keywords in search query report which had given you conversion. This is one of good practice you can use for your campaign.

If the Match type is Exact Match and my Avg Position = 1 with an average CTR higher than 20%, should I leave these KWs alone and don't try to add any Phrase Match or even Broad Match?

I'll suggest you to add phrase and borad match of these keywords and check how they are performing. You can also use the broad match modifier and then monitor these keywords carefully.

If the Match Type is Broad Match, would it help me to copy these queries into a new Ad Group in an Exact Match format?

If broad match keywords are not performing well, check the search query report, check you are not getting click for irrelevant keywords and try to add some negative keywords at ad group. You can create new ad group having exact match keywords but this will gives you lesser clicks, you can try and see how it performs.

I believe I should have added a few more fields, the Lost Impression share and Lost IS rank (Budget should be high enough) What is the best and easiest way to work with these numbers in a Search Query report?

In general, Impression share + Lost IS (budget) + Lost IS (rank) should always = 100%. Try to make Impression share figure as much as high or near to 100 and rest of two as less as you can

Beside this try to write good ad texts for your ad group, keep testing and creating new ad texts for campaign. At dimension tab check the georaphical performance of campaigns.

Dinesh
My Blog
Message 2 of 11 (614 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to DeBeenus
| ‎05-03-2012 09:29 PM

I am trying to figure out where I should take immediate action and which ones I can leave alone (for now)

Go for the 'low hanging fruit' keywords. Preferably those with high impressions and/or conversions so you can work on CTR and conversions. For example if a keyword had a single impression over three months, that would not have that much opportunity. AND there are usually loads of those in a search query report.

If there were 25000 keywords too look through maybe delete that fluff to save time.

Message 3 of 11 (584 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to DeBeenus
| ‎06-03-2012 08:06 AM

Hello DeBeenus,

In addition to above thoughts, i will say search query at adgroup level helps a lot in keeping CPA in control.

You must test if you haven't yet.

P.S: Please cross check same term should not be there as both positive and negative keywords. When we have a long list of keywords chances of such mistakes are common.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Message 4 of 11 (570 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to DineshSEM
| ‎06-03-2012 10:40 AM

Hi Dinesh,

I have a question for you. If I grab a few converting search queries with high CTR's and place them in a separate Ad Group in an exact match along with two text ads, wouldn't you expect these keywords to show up with a QS of 7 or higher?

After having read many posts I figured CTR is the way to go for QS (at least visibly) Based on this I expected these SQ keywords to be 7+ instead of 3 minus :-(

Thanks,

Message 5 of 11 (565 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to NehaGupta
| ‎06-03-2012 10:46 AM

Neha,

you mentioned: 

P.S: Please cross check same term should not be there as both positive and negative keywords. When we have a long list of keywords chances of such mistakes are common.

Would this be something I could find using the double KW finder in the offline Editor?

Message 6 of 11 (564 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to DeBeenus
| ‎06-03-2012 05:26 PM

Hello DeBeenus,

If you are using these keywords as exact match then keywords can have low quality score as compared to phrase and broad match. Try to use all these keywords matches and as you will get good CTR, you can see improvement in QS of keywords. Also check your keywords, ad text and landing page are relevant to each other or not. Try to use keywords which have good CTR or conversion rate in ad text. All this can help you in improving the QS of keywords.

Dinesh
My Blog
Message 7 of 11 (558 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to DeBeenus
| ‎07-03-2012 10:13 AM

DeBeenus wrote:

Neha,

you mentioned: 

Would this be something I could find using the double KW finder in the offline Editor?

Hi Again,

You may find it a long process, but i didnt not find anything else then using offline Editor.

Just copy all your Broad match negative keywords & go to keyword tab.

Select Advance search option
Under settings drop down select Keywords
and then select contains
Put all your broad negative terms
and click search.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Message 8 of 11 (550 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to NehaGupta
| ‎15-03-2012 01:45 AM

Hello, DeBeenus.

One area worth looking at, before taking any action, is the Search Funnels in AdWords, or the Multi Channel Funnels in Analytics.

You don't want to kill a keyword which brought you an upstream visit, which in the end converted through another keyword and another search term.

That, of course, in the event that you get conversions from multi-visits as well.

Message 9 of 11 (514 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to DineshSEM
| ‎16-03-2012 08:48 AM

Hi Dinesh,

>>

If the Match type is Exact Match and my Avg Position = 1 with an average CTR higher than 20%, should I leave these KWs alone and don't try to add any Phrase Match or even Broad Match?

I'll suggest you to add phrase and borad match of these keywords and check how they are performing. You can also use the broad match modifier and then monitor these keywords carefully.

>>

Would you advise me to add these extra match types (keyword, 'keyword' and [keyword] ) in the same Ad Group?

Message 10 of 11 (496 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here