Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Solved!
Accepted Solution

GDN keyword-based placements - what will the performance data look like?

| ‎16-03-2012 05:28 AM
The Google Display Network is changing how placement matches are performed, moving from the "theme" approach of trying to match the collective group of an adgroup's keywords against possible content looking for a match, to one that looks pretty much like the way the "search" side has worked - matching specific keywords in the adgroup against possible content.  The question is, how is this data going to look in the performance reports?  In the past, the criterion and keyword reports have used the dummy "content" keyword to indicate automatic placements, and for managed placements have included the sitename as the keyword.  Now there is going to be a "real" keyword to report on.  How does that fit in?  There will also be keyword level URLs, complete with tracking parameters; how does that picture look in the data that will be coming back? 

We have clients that have been whitelisted for this, but until we know how the data is going to look we're hesitant to set this live without knowing that we will be able to make sense out fo the data coming back in the performance reports.  Being able to identify the data belonging to these keywords is crucial, as is knowing the destination URL that was triggered (to get the tracking data).

thanks
-reed
Message 1 of 7 (1,731 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Re: GDN keyword-based placements - what will the performance data look like?

Reply to reed
| ‎16-03-2012 08:07 AM

Hi Reed,

I'm slightly confused here...

Pardon my ignoarance and perhaps I misunderstood what you posted.  Do you care to share some sources for these 'changes' to the GDN.  I may have missed the announcement and I'd like to learn more about this.

Even if there are 'changes' to the GND content 'matching' procedures, I'm certian that the 'Search' side still matches keywords to search queries and there are no queries involved in the GDN, just content.

Are you by chance referring to Contextual Targeting on the GDN?

"AdWords uses contextual targeting to match your ads to relevant sites on the Google Display Network using your keywords or topics, among other factors. Contextually targeted ads offer useful information to readers, and attract an audience interested in your message.

Contextual targeting is always used when an ad group has keywords or topics and the campaign is set to show ads on the Display Network."

-Tom

Message 2 of 7 (1,726 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor
AdWords Accepted Solution

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎16-03-2012 01:09 PM

I am also a little bit confused, as Tom , but I think, I figured Reed's point.

@Reed; If I got you right, you are asking about the placement targeting algorithm on the Display Network (GDN), that was changed more than a year ago....

Until the change, as your question states: "..for managed placements have included the sitename as the keyword. ". You are correct that, "Now, there is going to be a "real" keyword to report on".

The reason for the change is the famous relevancy criteria, AdWords is so focused on. Web-sites have become full with content, that specifying just a "web site" for your ads to appear, does not necessarily guarantee that ads are relevent to the content of the site. Thus, AdWords has added, in managed placement, the need to include keywords. That way, AdWords can decide if your ads are really relevent to take part in an auction, on the whole site or only in specific pages. (based on contextual targeting)

(As a matter of fact, it's more complex and beyond the scope of this post to explain what would be, if you do not list relevent keywords. Briefly, I'd say that AdWords will look for keywords "all over" your account. So, you'd better list them yourself in your GDN campaign)

A major point to remember, that I have the feeling you are aware of: all keywords on GDN campaigns function as a group, to figure a contextual targeting between your ads, and the content of (relevent) web sites.

-Moshe

Message 3 of 7 (1,715 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Hi Reed,   In addition to the great responses you have al...

[ Edited ]
Reply to MosheTLV
| ‎17-03-2012 12:05 AM
Last edited 17-03-2012 12:05 AM by pankaj1782

Hi Reed,

In addition to the great responses you have already received, I am little afraid of what you mentioned in your post:

Now there is going to be a "real" keyword to report on.  How does that fit in?  There will also be keyword level URLs, complete with tracking parameters; how does that picture look in the data that will be coming back? 

That's certainly not the case if we talk about the GDN because I think you are confusing with the alogrithm how actually Google Search Network and Google Display Network works. There are certainly no keyword level targeting available in GDN where you can get the report related to as which keyword triggered which placement click over GDN.

As Tom and Moshe rightly mentioned from Google notes that the theme of your keywords is collectively considered to target contextually your ads over automatic placements.

Although you do have the option of including destination URL for your managed placement, where you want users to land on specific page if they are visiting a specific domain which you included as Managed (not the automatic ones). 

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Message 4 of 7 (1,697 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to PPCBossman
| ‎19-03-2012 12:42 PM

Yes, I was referring to contextual targeting on the Display Network. The question was based on my impression that that ability to have contextual targeting base its ad-serving decision  on specific keywords in the adgroup, and not the theme of an adgroup's keywords, is something that is coming. 

Message 5 of 7 (1,672 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

GDN contextual

Reply to reed
| ‎19-03-2012 03:21 PM

Reed;

As said, contextual targeting on GDN is based on a theme. Moreover, if you add negative keywords,  they lower/ reduce the contextual targeting.

-Moshe

Message 6 of 7 (1,667 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Interesting...

Reply to reed
| ‎23-03-2012 02:05 PM

Reed,

Did you by chance have an inside source that gave you a scoop on the Display Network changes that were announced just yesterday?

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2012/03/better-way-to-buy-display.html

We'd all have to change our posts in a week or two - the display network is undergoing some significant changes now, quite similar to what you expressed in your original post.

-Tom

Message 7 of 7 (1,647 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here