Welcome to the Official AdWords Community

Re: Google shopping results in google analytics

[ Edited ]
Level 4 eCI
Reply to StructuredPPC
| ‎18-04-2013 02:58 AM
Last edited 18-04-2013 03:01 AM by eCI

I contacted support and I am still waiting for a definitive answer.  (The answer they provided was vague and not really to the point).

I did come across this regarding Merchant center:  http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2721673&topic=2721586&ctx=topic

There is a report that shows paid vs free clicks.  So my question is, what are free clicks in my merchant account?

If a person clicks on a shopping result, and that is a free click, where does that get tracked?

In my analytics, what would be the traffic source for this click?  CPC/PLA, organic, etc? 

I will keep you posted with my findings - if I figure this out.

Unless you or anybody can clarify....

Message 11 of 30 (1,046 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to eCI
| ‎18-04-2013 03:20 AM
Hi, i think paid clicks and free clicks chart will go away pretty soon as google will have a single chart showing the clicks you received from both pla and google shopping.

In analytics your traffic source will be cpc and there is no way you can differentiate between google shopping and pla. But its better to hear from lion's mouth.

Siva.
Message 12 of 30 (1,042 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Reply to CEH80
| ‎19-04-2013 03:54 AM
Last edited 19-04-2013 04:08 AM by CEH80

as an update, I haven't been to check my stats to see if it is working, but I am glad that I am not the only one with the same question. there must be a way to tell what part of Google some one has used to visit my site and make a purchase.

Message 13 of 30 (1,036 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to CEH80
| ‎19-04-2013 12:11 PM

I have added a tracking parameter to all product link URLs in our data feed. I used: ?ref=merchantcenter but obviously it could be anything that makes sense to you.

Now, looking in GA after several days of data (filtering only for those URLs containing my parameter), I see 1 visit which came through google / organic. However, when I check performance in the Merchant Center the "free clicks" are much higher than just 1 which makes me think this is not capturing all organic traffic correctly.

Have you tried anything like this to distinguish free / paid clicks in GA?

Message 14 of 30 (1,027 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to Amie Y
| ‎20-04-2013 02:17 AM

Hello.

Google Merchant Center and Google AdWords can offer you the following information:

• whether the click comes from Google shopping or not. You can track that by adding a parameter to your <link> element in the feed, as Amie correctly pointed out). In some of my feeds, I do not simply add the product page link, but rather link?source=googleps
  • whether the click comes from a product listing ad, or a product extension. You can track that by making use of the <g:adwords_queryparam> element and the valuetrack parameter {adtype}. If you add an element to your feed such as <g:adwords_queryparam>adtype={adtype}</g:adwords_queryparam>, then your URLs will look like regular-product-page?source=googleps&adtype=pla for product listing ads clicks & Google Shopping clicks and regular-product-page?source=googleps&adtype=pe for product extensions clicks. Before Google shopping moved to a paid model, a click from the Google Shopping page would have looked like regular-product-page?source=googleps, with no adtype parameter.

Hope things are a bit clearer now. The idea is that you need to code your Merchant center links and then filter your reports in Google Analytics.

Another nice approach is to segment your Product Listing Ads in a one product / one ad group / one product target setup, and run pure Product Listing Ads campaigns. Then you know, per product, how many clicks you received from product listing ads, because all clicks come inside the product's ad group.

Message 15 of 30 (1,024 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Level 4 eCI
Reply to AdWiser
| ‎21-04-2013 02:01 AM

Thanks Adwiser and Amie for the input. 

In parralel to your posts, I received an email from Adwords support confirming my question:

"Sales (conversions) from Shopping are not tracked in merchant center and not included in PLA stats - so in essence they are not recorded anywhere."

I will take a look at your suggestions (I am not a programmer so its a bit confusing to me) and see if we can implement. However, a question still remains - even if we implement the code in Merchant Center as per your suggestion - what would a click and conversion look like in my Google analytics? 
If someone sees a shopping listing in Google, clicks on it, and buys the product, the purchase is included in my revenue and transactions (I assume).  What is the source/medium in my analytics?  Organic? CPC? Not recorded at all?  Where does the "credit" for this transaction get placed?

I asked this question to support too, and even they could not answer.  They have escalated it. 

Message 16 of 30 (1,014 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to eCI
| ‎21-04-2013 02:09 AM

Hello, eCl. What country are you targeting? Is Google shopping still free over there or is it only paid? Do you have auto-tagging enabled in your AdWords account or not?

Message 17 of 30 (1,011 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Level 4 eCI
Reply to AdWiser
| ‎21-04-2013 03:27 AM
Last edited 21-04-2013 04:01 AM by eCI

Hi,

We are targeting the US.  Google Shopping is no longer free, in the sense that it is based on having an active product listing ad campaign.

Yes, auto-tagging is enabled in my account.

But how will this help me?  Adwords still only shows stats for my paid ads - i.e. my PLAs, but not any stats for shopping lisitngs.

Message 18 of 30 (1,009 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Reply to eCI
| ‎22-04-2013 03:37 AM

Hello, eCl.

After moving to a paid model with Google Shopping, Google started showing Shopping ads only for advertisers running PLAs. Therefore any Google Shopping click is now a PLA click.

How do I know that? I clicked one of my ads, in Google Shopping, and the {adtype} parameter in my feed was populated with the string "pla". Before the shopping model became paid, that string only appeared for clicks on product listing ads on Google Search. Now they appear in Google Shopping as well.

You will probably ask "ok, but then how do I know which click is from Google Shopping and which one is from regular, search page PLAs". I believe that the Shopping clicks, formerly free, do not have an ad associated to them. You cannot use a promotion in Google Shopping, and Analytics will report, from what I can see, the "Ad Content" as (not set).

Therefore, as a segment for Google Analytics, something like Ad Content = (not set) and campaign = your PLA campaign name could tell you how you're doing with respect to google shopping.

Am I making any sense?

Message 19 of 30 (994 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

[ Edited ]
Level 4 eCI
Reply to AdWiser
| ‎22-04-2013 06:59 AM
Last edited 22-04-2013 07:23 AM by eCI

Thanks AdWiser, for the follow up. I'm not sure if your approach is correct.  

I finally received a definitive response from Google, so I think I have the answer for everybody who dealt with this question.

First, some very carefully worded summaries for the sake of clarity:

• "Sales (conversions) from Shopping are not tracked in merchant center and not included in PLA stats - so in essence they are not recorded anywhere."
  • In the case of Google Shopping listing clicks, these will show up as Organic and not cpc. However these will not track separate from your normal organic traffic. To be able to know how they report you will have to create a filter.  

Finally, the instructions for doing this are in this link (which ironically is not a Google site - but was given to me by Google support.  I read the instructions here and implemented them. 

Make sure to read the updated filter information in an update the author posted to the comments on June 21.

If you read the instructions carefully, you will see some other Google products track in analytics automatically (like Google images) and others don't like shopping, Google news, Google video search, etc.  You can create filters for those too.

I set this up today and I assume the stats will track from now on (not retroactively) so I will report back later if it works.

I think (and hope) this is the answer we were all looking for.

Message 20 of 30 (991 Views)
Please use plain text.
Full Reply Editor

Did this Answer Your Question? If not post your question here